Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Not to Wear

As recently as Thanksgiving, someone close to me, also a mother, had a bit of work done. This woman has always been beautiful, but after 3 children, her youngest is nearly 4 at the moment, she had that last 10 to go and no matter what work outs she did, couldn't seem to get rid of it. She had abdominal surgery and looks the same size she was when we were children. I love this person dearly and at a time in my life when I was needing new clothes, she gave me not new clothes, but new-to-me clothes.
We have never had the same taste, but I would honestly wear some of these things by choice. Some are way cute, and others...we'll just say make me look so much more hippy than I have ever been.

There is a show on the cable network TLC called "What Not to Wear" and we are both fans.
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/whatnottowear.html
The hosts, Stacy London and Clinton Kelly, take fashion-challenged people from around the USA and give them $5000 and a week in NYC to shop for a new wardrobe according to body shape rules and fashion savvy. The catch is, they have to give up nearly every little bit of clothing they own--if (and most of the time all the peices do)--they don't follow the rules. Usually, buy things in the right size, not the size you think you are; cinch above the waist and not below it/that cuts you in half and creates more rolls; wear proper, supportive undergarments; a little make-up goes a long way, way longer than more make-up; create some visual interest and so on.
Now, I do consider myself fashion-challenged, but not to the point where I would have to surrender my clothing under threat of ripping the shirt off my back, and I thank this woman for the "new" clothes I have, but, and it is a big but...MINE. We have never been the same size, even when we were. My hips are hippier and my chest has always been chestier.
"They're all Clinton and Stacy approved." she says. I got the reference. I didn't need her to explain where the reference came from because she knows I'm a fan and would watch religiously if I could, but most of these pieces she gave me--the pants (I was only able to wear two pairs of the pants, and I'm nursing a wee one so I can't wear the dress that looks so fabulous on me because I'd end up stretching out the neck way too much)--Bless her heart, they are approved for her body shape. Or what her body shape used to be.
DH says I can get a tummy tuck if I want one, but when I had Baby M, I nearly lost my life with a c-section. I just don't know if I could do that again. And the cost. Even in about 5 years, when we're done with school and making real money...I just don't know about that. After 4 babies, I'm resigned to the flap I have going on. Me and the flap, We're good friends. I'd just like to have the clothes that fit my body and camouflage the flaws. I am not ungrateful, I just wish I could wear all the pieces she gave me.

1 comment:

  1. I would so LOVE to be on that show. After I loose all the baby weight of course. I wouldn't want to blow $5000 on "fat clothes!"

    ReplyDelete